Sunday, February 7, 2010

Equine Affaire-- A Networkers (or Shoppers) Dream



On a cold, rainy Saturday morning, with racing cancelled at my local track, I went to the Equine Affaire in Pomona, CA.

It's always fun for me to attend conventions, or events where everyone is like-minded and no more so than at "horsey" gatherings. At the Equine Affaire (like Cowboy Christmas in Vegas), there is no such thing as too much bling! I was right at home. My girlfriend that I brought along with me is from the equestrian world and clearly this was more a western crowd in attendance. This was most evident when I pointed out a gorgeous $ 6,200 show saddle covered in crystals, silver and black suede. But I digress.

Networking, networking and more networking was the key for me today, not shopping. I found several Facebook friends in attendance. I meet a gal that has a non profit in hopes of educating the public and changing the training tactics of "soreing" for Saddlebreds and other gaited horses. I met an independent filmmaker who just finished a project on the BLM wild horses. I met a woman that has created a new horse treat that is conveniently shaped with a whole in the middle to stuff whatever medicines your horse doesn't want to take in it and other interesting people (including a broker selling shares in PBR bulls!. I collected volumes of literature, magazines and brochures to read over the next couple days.

I enjoyed the Breed Pavilion, but was disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet Lukas, the World's Smartest Horse and Karen Murdock. Nor did I see the USC Mascot, Traveller in attendance. However, I met Brian Borg's lovely miniature stallion; who was well behaved when my friend and I were invited into his stall for an up close visit.

If you are interested in meeting like minded horse enthusiasts, than the Equine Affaire is a great place to do just that. The Pomona venue ends on Sunday, with the next edition of the Equine Affaire in Ohio April 8-11th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TBA Blog Roll

Followers

Search This Blog